Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Nothing Gold Can Stay

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold;
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
--Robert Frost

This past month as the green has faded from the landscape,

a feeling of melancholy and loss has grown.

Was I only responding to the end of summer?

This morning I realized that August of this year
marks a decade since my father died.


Nothing gold can stay.


I love and miss you Dad.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice tribute. I bet your dad would be proud of your interesting blog and the photos you have taken. You have taught us all so much and showed us things we haven't given much thought to but should. I'm sure he would encourage you in these efforts and the journey you are on. He must have been a fine man to have your love and respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father died 9 years ago on August 10 - as noted here. You think you'll "get over it", and you don't, not entirely.

    Anyway, thanks. BTW, the last name is Green, and I am hoping he's in a Golden place now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw ... I never remember dates and anniversaries, but it has happened that I've become melancholy and then someone has pointed out that it's the anniversary of a loss. I think our subconscious mind knows.

    Lovely tribute. Your Dad would be touched to know he is 'gold'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Squirrel, Roger, and Jay. I can tell by your words that you understand, and your understanding shines a warm light...like a late summer golden glow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice and original !!!
    See photrom.fr and romtop.blogspot.com
    Leave your comment

    ReplyDelete